Thursday, April 26, 2012

PCI-Express 1.0 and 2.0 - Can I use a 2.0 video card in a 1.0 slot?

I want to buy a 9800gtx video card and I noticed that they all say

PCI express 2.0 but the mother board i have, only has

PCI espress 1.0 slots and I was wondering if you could use a PCI exp. 2.0 video card in a PCI exp. 1.0 slot.|||Yes you can. The 2.0 specification give the PCI-e slot 16 lanes of bandwidth both in and out. I think the original slot only gave 16 lanes in one direction.



But besides that fact, they are backwards compatible and the 2.0 card will work in the 1.0 slot, just the performance will be decreased a little.|||Yes, you can do that no problem.



But, depending on the game the PCI-express 1.0 slot my limit to 2.0 card a little bit because PCI-e 1.0 has a lower bandwidth. I do not think it would be very noticeable though.

No comments:

Post a Comment